When it comes to finding the Best AV Receiver on the market, we’ve got you covered. We know how confusing it can be when every manufacturer claims to have built the best receiver that there is, however, nine times out of ten it’s simply a lie. Well, here at Trifty we decided to turn the table and instead give you a list of nine products that are actually good. Read on for our honest, unbiased and comprehensive article.
Table of Contents
- 1 Table of Products
- 2 What to look for in an Audio-Visual Receiver
- 3 Reviews Of Products
- 4 Denon AVR-3100W Home Theater Receiver
- 5 Onkyo TX-NR737 Home Theater Receiver
- 6 Pioneer Elite VSX-80 Home Theater Receiver
- 7 Yamaha RX-V777BT Home Theater Receiver
- 8 Harman Kardon AVR 3700 Home Theater Receiver
- 9 Marantz SR5009 Home Theater Receiver
- 10 (Best Product) NAD T 758 AV Receiver
- 11 (Budget Option) Sherwood R-807 Home Theater Receiver
- 12 Sony STR-DN1050 Home Theater Receiver
Table of Products
|$674.88 Learn more here.||8/10|
|$478.88 Learn more here||7/10|
| ||$667 Learn more here||8.5/10|
|$779.95 Learn more here||9/10|
|$399 Learn more here||7/10|
|$499 Learn more here||8/10|
| ||$799 Learn more here||9.5/10|
|$225 Learn more here||8.5/10|
|$398 Learn more here||7.5/10|
The saying, “never judge a book by its cover” rings true amongst the audio world. While AV Receivers may not be particularly aesthetically pleasing, it’s the audio quality that matters and not what they look like. Some people say that they are the most important component in an audio system and, while I agree with that to a point, I believe that it is important to have a consistent audio system across the board instead of investing in one device specifically. The receiver is often considered the hub of any system as it processes both audio and visual signals, making sure that the signal is then sent out to the right devices in a coordinated manner.
What to look for in an Audio-Visual Receiver
4k – 4k technology is becoming more and more accessible as time goes on, meaning it’s a great idea to get a device that supports it. While you may not think you will be upgrading to 4k anytime soon, it’s a great feature that future-proofs your purchase.
Inputs – When looking at any media device, it’s important to make sure it has enough inputs to support your needs. There’s no point in buying a receiver that can only support four speakers when you have eight.
Connectivity – The same thing that I talked about with 4k applies here. While wireless audio may not be perfect yet, it’s getting better as time goes on, which is why getting a receiver with wireless capabilities may be a good idea.
Price – When it comes to technology as a whole, prices can rack up fast. We understand that budget is a big factor in any decision, which is why we have only included products under $1000. We feel that is the perfect price point that offers both value for money and top notch audio.
Reviews Of Products
Denon AVR-3100W Home Theater Receiver
- The Denon receiver features a lot of the wirless options that I mentioned earlier, such as Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, AirPlay, and even DLNA.
- Featuring 4K Ultra HD at a staggering 60 Hz refresh rate, this device is certainly future proof. Who knows, maybe you’ll be taking the plunge into the world of UHD sooner than you thought.
- Sporting an impressive 8 HDMI 2.o inputs, it’s safe to say that connectivity issues won’t be an issue.
- The ECO mode ensures that only the minimum amount of power is used, which is gret on a normally power-hungry device.
As you can see by the impressive list of features obove, this is a fantastic receiver. Sporting 7.2 channels, Wireless connectivity and a wealth of input options, you really couldn’t ask for more.
Overall we highly reccomend this receiver to anyone who is interested in picking themselves up a mid-priced device that packs a punch. Featuring virtually everything fro or checklist, this is simply faultless.
Onkyo TX-NR737 Home Theater Receiver
- THX Select2TM plus certified for theater reference sound
- Just like the Denon, this boasts amazing Ultra HD connectivity, allowing for immersive 4K content consumption at a smooth 60FPS. It also supports HDCP 2.2, making it ideal for future 4K video streaming.
- It also features Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 2.1 for wirelessly connecting, as well as DSP music optimizing technology.
- Playback compressed, lossless, and Hi-res audio via local network
Just like the Denon we previously reviewed, this is certainly a future-proof device. If you are someone who plans to be using this in years to come then we highly recommend that you stick to the checklist we mentioned above, which this certainly does.
Boasting incredible, powerful, lossless audio that will get any audiophile excited for sure, the Onkyo Audio-Visual device is amazing. While it may not come from one od the bigger brands in the business, we can certainly reccomend this to anyone seeking a quality audio system.
Pioneer Elite VSX-80 Home Theater Receiver
- Pioneer ELITE 7.2-Channel AV Receiver with Ultra HD (4k/60p) Up scaling/Pass Through
- DSD Playback via Network, Subwoofer EQ, Dual Subwoofer Preout, Built-in AVNavigator, Spotify and Roku Ready
- HDMI 7in/2 out (1 for MAIN, 1 for MAIN/HDZONE); Apple Air Play, DLNA, and HTC Connect Certified
- 165 W/ch (6 ohms 1kHz 1% 1ch Driven) ; 90 W/ch (20 Hz-20kHz, THD 0.08% at 8 ohms FTC)
- Dolby TrueHD/Dolby Pro Logic IIz/Dolby Digital Plus
As well as supporting UHD, the Pioneer Elite VSX-80 is also able to upscale any lower definition video signals you may have, meaning you can enjoy cable TV on your crystal clear 4k TV. The wireless connectivity also firmly places this device in the 21st century, allowing you to easily control all of the settings from your Smartphone.
If audio is a big concern for you, which I’m assuming it is, then you will be glad to know that, with 90 watts per channel, the Dalby Audio is amazing. Hook this up to a set of quality speakers and you will be genuinely blown away with the quality.
Yamaha RX-V777BT Home Theater Receiver
- Bluetooth wireless technology
- HDMI Zone B and Party Mode
- YPAO -R.S.C. with multipoint measurement
- Spotify, Pandora, Rhapsody, SiriusXM Internet Radio and vTuner Internet radio streaming services
- HDMI 6 inputs / 2 outputs with 4K 60p video upscaling
With six HDMI connections, 4k support and HDMI zone B, we know that you will be overjoyed with the Yamaha AVR. Via the “Wireless Direct” mode you can directly connect to your receiver with your smart device in order to take advantage of streaming services like Spotify, Pandora, and even YouTube.
Still in mid-priced territory here, this is perfect for anyone who is heavily interested in audio and wants a good, all-around media setup.
Harman Kardon AVR 3700 Home Theater Receiver
- Powerful 7.2 surround sound system with an incredible 125 watts per channel. This is quite a lot more than the typical 90 watts found on most AV Receivers.
- Integrated Green Edge technology uses ultra lightweight digital amplifiers to create robust, precise amplification.
- Stream media via Airplay, Bluetooth, Internet Radio or Roku. This diverse range of connectivity options gives you a lot of free reign when it comes to what devices you can connect it to.
- 4K video pass-through and upscaling
Harman Kardon is known in the music industry for creating some of the best audio devices out there and, it’s evident that they have used their industry knowledge here to create an amazing device. Highly optimized for music streaming, with Geen Edge technology for amazing amplification, and a range of connectivity options, this versatile device gives the owner a lot of options.
As one of the cheaper devices on the list, you would probably be expecting a dip in quality, however, this simply isn’t the case. We can hand-on-heart recommend this to anyone and everyone interested in giving their audio a massive boost for a reasonable price.
Marantz SR5009 Home Theater Receiver
- 7.2 channel platform100W(8ohm, 20Hz-20kHz, THD:0.08%) Power Amp4K/60Hz full-rate pass-through Analog to HDMI Conversion
- Built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth Networking: AirPlay, Android push playback, Internet Radio, Pandora(U), Spotify Connect, Deezer (N to be upgraded), QQ(K),Sirius XM(U), DSD play back, DLNA 1.5
- Audyssey Mult EQ XT setup with MIC stand included in the box / Dynamic EQ & Volume Dolby PlL2z”
- HDMI : Front 1in , Rear 7in/2 dual out Digital audio inputs :2 Opt /2 Coax Audio: 5in, Video: CVBS 3in / 1out, Component 2in / 1outFront panel USB input with iPod Digital direct
- AM/FM Radio2-zone/2-source via variable pre-outs and Amplified zone Remote in/out, RS232C, C4 SDDPisf Calibration Inlet type detachable AC cable
The New York Founded company, Marantz has been creating high-end audio equipment since 1952, placing them years ahead most of the competition. If there’s one company on the list who fully knows what they are doing, it’s Marantz.
While the vast majority of their products come in over the $1000 mark, the SR5009 is very reasonably priced. Unless you are an extreme audiophile we highly doubt you will be able to hear the difference between this and some of the more expensive products by Marantz -at least we couldn’t!
(Best Product) NAD T 758 AV Receiver
- FTC: 2 x 110W
- IHF Dynamic Power: 8 ohms: 2 x 137W | 4 ohms: 2 x 243W
- Frequency Response: ±0.8dB (ref. 1kHz, 20Hz-20kHz)
- AM/FM Tuner
- Unit Dimensions (WHD): 17 1/8″ x 6 13/16″ x 15 11/16″
We rated the NAD T 758 as the best product on the list and, boy does it deserve it. After testing it out here at the office three of our employees decided to pick one up for themselves.
The audio quality is sublime, with great bass, perfect treble and incredible pitch -Literally everything is on point. While it does come it right at the top of our price scale, we were more than happy to pay the extra money to get a device that will actually make a noticeable difference to our setups.
The modular design allows you to upgrade the audi and visual circuits whenever you want, adding to the device’s lifespan infinitely. This helps you to justify the bigger initial cost because you know that in the long run you will end up paying less.
Overall this is a truly fantastic devide that we HIGHLY reccomend you purchase. If you are someone who wants the best of the best then this is definately for you as, to date, we haven’t heard anything that sounds better.
(Budget Option) Sherwood R-807 Home Theater Receiver
- HDMI 1.4a & Internet Radio
- Front Panel USB Input
- Internet Audio Streaming
- Smartphone Application iOS/Android
- 6 DSP Surround modes (Theater, Hall, Stadium, Multi-Channel Stereo, etc.
Coming back down the scale from the NDA, we have the best budget option for people who want to inexpensively boost their audio to another level. Because of its price, the Sherwood AVR lacks in a few areas, however, that is understandable. For example, it doesn’t support 4k connections, but don’t let this deter you. While we did mention that 4k support is a thing to look out for in the best av receiver, it really doesn’t matter on a budget rig
Sony STR-DN1050 Home Theater Receiver
- Experience amazing sound with Hi-Res Audio in a powerful, easy-to-use receiver, 7.2 Ch. 1155W A/V Receiver (165 W x 7 at 6 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 0.9%), 4K HDR compatibility
- Exceptional circuitry and structure yield incredible audio performance, Compatible with wireless surround, front surround, Expand your listening with powerful multi-room
- 6-in/2-out HDMI flexibility with HDCP 2.2 support, Dual-band Wi-Fi for Airplay, DLNA, and Google Cast for Audio, Stream audio via Bluetooth and control your experience with your phone or tablet
- Enhanced setup and usability via rich GUI and streamlined remote, Google Cast for Audio, Flexible 2nd zone connectivity and control, Control with your iPhone or Android devices with free Apps
I’m sure that you all know who Sony are and what they are capable of. The STR is a perfect example of how a premium product can still manage to be well-priced. ticking off everything I mentioned right at the start of the article, there really isn’t much more that you could as from Sony. With a fantastic brushed aluminum exterior this also goes against my prior statement about how Receivers don’t look good -I take it back.
Hopefully, you will have found the Best Av Receiver for you in this article. If you are still looking or feel like we could have added anything in here, let us know in the comments down below.